Getting to Know Your Pediatric Dentist: Meet Dr. Percival
Some of you have probably seen a new dentist running around the Pediatric Dentistry Office. Our newest addition, Dr. Zachary Percival, has come back home to Des Moines after completing his education in Iowa City. Our patients have already had fun getting to know his lighthearted and caring spirit, but we wanted to share a little more.
- Being a West Des Moines native, what is it like to come back to your hometown after years of education in Iowa City?
Growing up in the Des Moines area, I wanted to be able to give back and help the people of this community. It means a lot to me to be able to do that while practicing in West Des Moines and Ankeny.
- What inspired you to want to become a dentist? What made you want to work with children?
I had always known I wanted to work in healthcare around people, dentistry was a great opportunity to both care for medical needs and work with people on a day-to-day basis. I was inspired to work with children by the idea of being able to influence oral health early on in individuals’ lives.
- What is your favorite part about working with pediatric patients?
Having an early impact on lives and teaching kids about oral health habits while they are still developing is not only important, but rewarding! I also enjoy being able to joke around and have fun while working with children.
- Do you have a favorite sport? If so, what it your favorite team?
My favorite sports teams are the Nebraska Cornhuskers and the Chicago Bears.
- Since you are one of the newest faces around the office, what is one thing you want your coworkers and patients to know about you?
One thing to know about me is that I am very easy-going and laid back. I do not tend to get easily stressed out by things.
- What is the most helpful tip you can give kids about dental hygiene?
The most helpful hint I can give kids about oral hygiene is to make sure to brush their teeth two times per day with fluoridated toothpaste and to floss between any teeth that are touching. Children tend to forget flossing, but it is so important!
- What are some of your favorite places or events to go to around the Des Moines area?
Some of my favorite places around Des Moines are local lakes or ponds to go fishing at. I also enjoy eating at BBQ or Mexican restaurants around the area.
Dental Care For Your Children
Pediatric Dentistry of Central Iowa and Dr. Percival are always taking new patients, and would love to get to know you and your little ones! To make an appointment, call the Ankeny office at (515) 964-3833, or the West Des Moines office at (515) 223-1298. If you have any questions, please reach out to us! We look forward to seeing you!